January – Winter Driving
1. Winter in Pennsylvania can mean rapidly changing weather and road conditions. If you don’t have to drive during a storm, don’t. If you have to drive, make sure you pack an emergency kit and drive appropriately for the conditions. Learn more about winter driving and what to pack in an emergency kit at www.justdrivepa.com. Information on PennDOT’s operations, like how we treat different types of storms, and other winter facts, is available at www.dot.state.pa.us/winter.
2. Winter driving can be dangerous with the rapidly changing weather and road conditions. Make sure that your vehicle is prepared. Ensure that all your fluid levels are full, and that your lights, heater and defroster are working properly. During storms, interstates and expressways are PennDOT's primary focus and equipment may be redirected to these routes during significant winter events. Plow trucks will also be slowed when facing heavy precipitation or when many other vehicles are also on roadways. This means that during heavier storms, motorists may find deeper accumulations on less-traveled routes and should adjust their driving for those conditions.
February – Aggressive Driving
1. Do you speed, run red lights or tailgate? If you answered
yes to any of these, you may be an aggressive driver. Police across the state
are cracking down on aggressive drivers, so slow down – save your money and
your life. Learn more about aggressive driving at www.justdrivepa.com
2. If you encounter an aggressive driver, PennDOT offers these tips:
• Get out of their way and don't challenge them.
• Stay relaxed, avoid eye contact and ignore rude gestures.
• Don't block the passing lane if you are driving slower than most of the traffic.
3. While many people associate aggressive driving with road
rage, they are two different behaviors. Road rage, which is a criminal offense,
is often the result of aggressive driving behavior that escalates into an
assault with a vehicle or other dangerous weapon. For more information on
aggressive driving visit, www.justdrivepa.com.